There is always something that comes up unexpected.
Never fails.
Heck, I don't even think we really make a "plan" anymore. Which sort of drives the schedule nazi in me nuts but I am trying to learn to roll with it...please note, I said I am trying. ;) I usually have an idea in my mind how I would like for the weekend to go, or some things that I would like to at least have done while everyone is home. Usually if some of it happens I count it as somewhat of a success. With that in mind, I try and get as much done during the week that I can so we don't have that eating up whatever free time we might get together as a family.
For example, I like to get laundry and housework all caught up before the weekend. I like to get the grocery shopping done during the week too. A big reason is I only have to drag along 1 child since the others are in school. This usually results in less time spent, less arguments and sometimes even less impulse purchases while shopping. This past Friday, Little Man and I decided we would pick up some "googly eyes" for the boys' Valentine's we are making. Well, unfortunately that was in the craft aisle. Little Man is obsessd with crafty stuff so needless to say we were in that aisle for almost 25 minutes. No exaggeration there on time either. What do ya do? I guess we didn't have anywhere else to be so we got stuck in the timewarp aisle and let our creative jucies go. Wow. They have a lot of stuff. He found this heart and fell in love with it. (and a matching Star too, lovely <insert sarcasm here>)

He thought he should be able to make a Valentine too for his Grandma. So I gave in. We got it and a bunch of stuff to put on it. I figured well, why not? Give him something to do later on and also she would like it.
Once we finally got out of the blackhole called Wal-mart, we finished up our grocery shopping at another store. He talked me into getting one of the "car-carts". You know the ones that look like a car, supposed to be a shopping cart, but handles like a semi when you drive it? Yeah, I really don't like those...but I bite the bullet and let him have some fun. After having to ask him probably 18 times through out the store to get back in the cart and put whatever it was he picked out back on the shelf. We were on our way home to unload our purchases (and to hide the stuff from Dad we probably shouldn't have bought) and then fly out to Grandma's to pick up boys off the bus and check on her house while she has been out of town for a few days.
We got to Grandma's and her water line is still frozen so I continue to turn up the space heater on it and pour some more hot water on it. No luck so will try later. Put more wood in her fireplace...that is one good thing about winter...love the heat from a fireplace. Nothing else like it. It is instant heat...best thing after being in the cold choring or working cattle in the bitter cold.
![]() |
| It warms me up just looking at it! :) |
Friday evenings we usually have movie night at our house after supper. We all get blankets and snuggle up in the dark living room in our jammies for whatever is showing that night. The kids love the popcorn and occasionally M&M's in it too. It has become a little tradition for the boys and I and much cheaper than going to the movies. I know we won't be able to do this forever because of interferance with sports, activities and whatever but until then we will if I have anything to say about it! :) I enjoy the time with them just hanging out to unwind after a long week of school.
Saturday morning our oldest had basketball practice so I drove him and the other 3 boys into town with me. We were getting more snow so I decided we would hang out at practice rather than try and drive in the fresh white stuff anymore than I had to. The younger 3 enjoyed playing some when practice was almost over too. It was nice for them to get to be a little noisy and burn off some energy. Then we headed home.
![]() |
| The younger 3 boys spending a little time at practice on the court too. |
![]() |
| Oh, it was just as yummy as it looked too! :) |
We also worked on the boys' Valentine's for school. I'll have to share what we made next time. They turned out good and it was fun making them...well except for my hot glue gun burns. No pain, no gain...right? :) The boys helped unload dishes from the dishwasher...this was the result of them "putting away" the silverware. They didn't think there was anything wrong with it....
Hmmm...well, I guess I should be happy they were all clean at least. We will have to work on the organizing part...baby steps, right?
Guess what? I was right. Sunday, we all bundled up to cut some more wood for Grandma's fireplace. Our 5 yr old "Tank" went to get dressed and put his long underwear on like we told him. He came down and was messing with his bottom quite a bit. I inquired if something was wrong. Tank replied his long underwear were itchy. Come to find out he didn't have regular underwear on with them. He said, "What? They are underwear, right?" So we explained he needed to wear "short" underwear with them too. He later told me long underwear were much more comfortable when you wear them with short underwear. Oh, I love that boy.
![]() |
| "Tank" helping with cutting wood. |
After we got a full load, the boys and I unloaded the gator at the house. It was a chilly afternoon but we got the job done.
![]() |
| Pretty successful day, this ought to keep Grandma's house warm for another week or maybe 2 if the weather warms up like they are calling...keeping our fingers crossed on that one. |
We got back home and started the normal Sunday evening ritual of doing last minute things for school on Monday that we should have done earlier in the weekend.
Who doesn't do this? Please say it isn't just us? :)
After the boys are to bed I go over my mental list of all that didn't get done that I wanted to do for the weekend and realize, the world didn't end. It will still be there and we'll just try for next weekend....
...except for those haircuts...I WILL get them done THIS week. They are almost able to tuck the hair behind their ears for pete's sake! :)
Until next time...










No comments:
Post a Comment